Tea has been consumed for nearly 5,000 years, and its popularity is continuing to grow. The Tea Association of the USA states that next to water, tea is the most widely consumed beverage in the world. On an average day, over half of the American population drinks tea (that’s about 158 million people!). And at an affordable three cents per servings, what is not to love about tea? One of the multiple reasons tea is favored by so many individuals includes its potential health benefits. Black, green, and white teas all contain antioxidants—naturally found properties in certain foods. The benefits of antioxidants found in tea may be linked to decreased cancer risk and improved immune function, as well as improved heart health by lowering both blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Tea can also be a quick and easy drink for busy people on the go. In today’s day and age, you don’t need a tea kettle to brew the perfect hot beverage. For individual servings, a microwave-safe mug is a quick and simple way to enjoy a delicious drink. Just heat one cup of water to desired temperature and brew a prepared tea bag for three to five minutes. Need to make more than one serving? Boiling and brewing water, tea, and other ingredients using a saucepan will also do the trick. By using loose tea, you can even use a coffee pot to switch your morning routine. One rule of thumb to remember: use one tea bag or one teaspoon of loose tea per eight-ounce cup of water.
With the wonderful variety of flavors to choose from, tea may soon replace your other morning drink selections. Whether you favor tart citrus or love fruity and sweet flavors, there is a hot tea recipe everyone can enjoy.
Sweet Honey-Mint Green Tea
Serves 4 (1 cup each)
All You Need:
– 4 cups water
– 3 green tea bags
– 1 handful fresh mint
– Honey, to taste
– Fresh lemon or lime juice, to taste
All You Do:
1. Bring water, tea bags and mint to a boil in a saucepan. Simmer for 5-10 minutes or until the minty flavor you want is achieved. Add honey and lemon/lime juice to taste.
2. Serve hot or chill in the refrigerator and serve over ice.
Cranberry-Raspberry Ginger Tea
Serves 6 (1 cup each)
All you Need:
– 3 cups brewed tea
– 3 cups cranberry-raspberry juice
– 3 slices ginger root, ¼-inch thick
All you Do:
1. Mix all ingredients in 2-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
2. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove gingerroot. Serve tea warm.