- Dark green leafy vegetables are a rich source of vitamins K, E, C & multiple B vitamins. These vitamins aid in maintenance of vision, immune function, and blood and bone health.
- Green vegetables are also a good source of minerals such as iron, calcium, potassium, and magnesium. These minerals support the formation, production, and maintenance of bone formation, blood health, muscle contractions, oxygen transport, and tissue growth.
- Broccoli and brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables that may protect against various cancers.
- Fruits like kiwi, honeydew melon, and green apples are high in vitamin C, B6, and potassium. Vitamin C and B6 are water soluble vitamins that are good for immunity, hormone production, and neural function. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure by counteracting sodium as well as aiding in muscle contraction.
- Green fruits and vegetables are great for any diet. They are low in calories and fat, they have no cholesterol, and they are high in dietary fiber. Fruits and vegetables are essential in any diet because they provide natural sources of nutrients that cannot be found anywhere else.
|Kyle is a Exercise Science major, interning with Activate Buffalo County. His favorite ways to live an active and healthy lifestyle include running, cycling, and playing soccer.|