Riding your bike is a great way to be active, whether you’re riding to get around or riding just for fun, but being safe with your bike should always be your #1 goal.
You probably think your brain is pretty important, so why wouldn’t you want to protect it? Even the best bike riders in the world where helmets, especially when they’re riding near traffic. If you have an accident, the easiest part of your body to hurt is your head. So no excuses, always wear a helmet!
Rules of the Road
People on bikes have to follow the same rules as people driving cars.
- Follow the flow of traffic. Stay on the right side of the road.
- Come to a complete stop at stop signs and lights.
- Look both ways before crossing through intersections.
- Use your hands to signal before turning.
For more detailed information, check out this short video. It has tons of great tips.
If you’re riding at night, at dusk, or even during the day, it’s essential to help drivers see you. If they can’t see you, how can they avoid hitting you?
- Be sure your bike has reflectors or lights on it.
- Wear bright-colored clothing to help stand out. Gray and black are terrible colors for bike riders, especially at night.
- If it’s too dark, hop off your bike and walk it on the sidewalk.
These are just a few tips to get you thinking about safety. Remember: cycling is fun, but getting hurt isn’t. Keep safety on your mind and a helmet on your head, and enjoy yourself out there!