For July, August and September, we are encouraging community members to ReThink Your Drink! and choose water over sugary drinks! If you would like to schedule a time for our ReThink Your Drink! display to come to your event, classroom, workplace, etc., please contact us using the form below.
We want to do all we can to help you in this journey! Below you can download educational packets and posters with stats and facts. Pass them out, hang them up at work, and ReThink Your Drink! View our ReThink Your Drink! Pinterest board.
Did you know drinking water helps . . .
- Maintain balance of body fluids
- Control calories
- Energize muscles
- Keep skin looking good
- Your kidneys function properly
- Maintain normal bowel function
How should I Hydrate for a workout?
Hydration Before Exercise
- Drink about 15-20 fl oz 2-3 hours before exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz 10-15 min before exercise
Hydration During Exercise
- Drink 8-10 fl oz every 10-15 min during exercise
- If exercising longer than 90 minutes, drink 8-10 fl oz of a sports drink (with no more than 8 percent carbohydrate) every 15 – 30 minutes.
Hydration After Exercise
- Weigh yourself before and after exercise and replace fluid losses.
- Drink 20-24 fl oz water for every 1 lb lost.
- Consume a 4:1 ratio of carbohydrate to protein within the 2 hours after exercise to replenish glycogen stores.
Facts About Added Sugars
How Do You Know?
How To Spot Added Sugars
Sugar Comparison: Coffee
Sugar Comparison: Coke & Lemonade
Sugar Comparison: G2 & Monster
Sugar Comparison: Powerade & Water
Sugar Comparison: Across the Board
Calories in Water
The Best Liquids for Athletes
What’s Inside the Bottle?
- Check out this link to see how sweet your drink is.
- What do you drink? Check out this link from the CDC.
- Sugar Stacks: Comparisons of the sugar content of drinks.
Hydration and Exercise
- Winning the Game – Teaming Foods and Fluids for Teen Athletes (Courtesy of University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension)
- Work-It Out Calculator: See how much exercise it takes to burn off the calories from different drinks!
- Hydration 101
Request Our ReThink Your Drink Display
Activate Buffalo County
Activate Buffalo County is committed to creating a healthy community. They focus on bringing education and resources to the community in order to make the healthy choice the easy choice.