Did you know you could have breakfast in less than one minute and for less than one dollar? Cereal is one of the most traditional breakfast foods out there. For about 50 cents, you could have a smart breakfast choice. Add a serving of fruit to still eat a nutritious breakfast for under one dollar. This provides you with one serving of a whole grain, dairy and fruit for convenient and cost-effective nutrition density.
There are several health benefits to eating breakfast as part of a regular routine. Eating breakfast may assist with weight loss maintenance, increase your overall nutrient intake and may help kids perform better in school. In addition to these benefits, cereal can also add nutrients such as whole grains, fiber, calcium, iron and B vitamins, which are difficult to make up for in the day if breakfast is skipped. Research even shows that cereal eaters consume less fat, less cholesterol and more fiber than non-cereal eaters.
Not only is cereal great for a better breakfast, but think outside the cereal box and try any of the following…
- Bowl of cereal as a snack between meals
- On-the-go snack option
- Part of trail-mix recipes
- Topping on your yogurt or cottage cheese
- Substitute for croutons in your favorite lettuce salad
Try the Cheerios Banana Quesadillas for a quick and easy breakfast idea or snack option for kids.
Cheerios Banana Quesadillas
All you need:
- 2 (9-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ cup Cheerios® cereal (any variety)
- 1 medium banana, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
All you do:
1. Over each tortilla, spread 1 tablespoon peanut butter. Over half of each peanut butter-topped tortilla, sprinkle half the cereal. Arrange half the bananas over cereal. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon honey.
2. Fold tortillas over filling, then cut each in half, making 4 triangles.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 180 calories, 6 g fat, 290 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 5 g protein