The low for today is 18°. 18°! I don’t know why I’m surprised. It’s cold out and it’s only going to get colder. The best way to battle the frigid temperatures is to warm up your body with some delicious chili! I thought I’d share my wife’s vegetarian chili recipe to get you thinking about ways to warm up this winter.
- 2 cans of chili beans
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 large can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 onion (color is up to you–we use yellow for cooking)
- 1 bell pepper (again, color is up to you–I like red, but my wife likes green)
- 1 package of Morning Star Grillers’ Recipe Crumbles
- chili powder
1. Drain all cans except the chili beans and tomatoes.
2. Chop onion and bell pepper.
3. Put all the ingredients together in a large pot and mix. We use Morning Star Grillers’ Recipe Crumbles because they have 75% less fat than ground beef, 10 grams of protein in half a cup, and they’re delicious! Add chili powder to taste and stir.
4. Cook over medium-high heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently.
5. When it’s done, scoop it into a bowl and serve.
If you’re chowing on chili you’ve gotta have some cornbread. I usually go with this recipe. Try to avoid the boxes of instant mix because they’re loaded with carbs, calories, and sugar. If you have any tips, recommendations, or a recipe of your own, be sure to share it with us in the comments section below!